Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Becky, I'm So Sorry

...but I just can't read Exodus. I've tried, I really have, but I just can't get drawn in--jumping from story to story, the writing style is so matter-of-fact, and the details are so familiar, I just can't get my head in it. I'm so sorry; I don't think it's a bad book, I'm just not in a place to read it.

I'm almost 100 pages in--with another book, I'd stick it out another 200 pages or so to the end, but knowing that the end is over 500 pages away from me....I just can't do it.

You get to slap me good next time you see me, okay?

My light reading this week is The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker. It's light because I've read it before--I'm skimming it in a reread, because it's such an interesting book. I love nonfiction with a lot of concrete facts in it. Have I mentioned that lately?

I'm probably going to be reading To Say Nothing of the Dog for a very long time--it's not really a "plow through" kind of book. (Aside: is plough a British spelling? Because blogger doesn't recognize it.) Mike and I are also reading A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Miserable Mill. It's a nice book for reading out loud to each other, in the car or while one of us is doing something like cooking dinner or drawing.

I also have a total of about 14 other library books out. Something really needs to be done about that; possibly I need to start reading The Complete Essays of Mark Twain, but more likely I should pick up Charmed Thirds, which will be both quick and trashy. Delish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about Exodus but I did stick it out and in the end I was glad. My mother named me after a character in the book as she was reading it when she was preggers with me and I have family living in Israel (who were living there during the time in which the book is set)-- so I felt duty-bound to finish it. I applaud you putting it down (it's so liberating to realize one does not have to finish every book one starts!) and I encourage you to pick it up again someday.