Friday, August 22, 2008

Mucking About

I can't seem to settle anywhere comfortable, bookwise. I'm not really into anything special, and so of course I've checked out a bazillion library books. What am I actually in the middle of reading? Let's see...The Sweet Far Thing, which is the third Libba Bray book, and is long, very long, very, very long. I started American Gods, by Neil Gaiman, though it's unlikely that I'll finish it before I work my way through some of my library books. I never read the ones I own.

I'm having a lot of fun with Going Postal, by Terry Pratchett. I like each of his books better than the one before. He's funny, but the books are still pretty plotty. So that's nice. I think this is the closest I am feeling to actual enthrallment with anything I'm reading right now.

But today I was feeling kind of blah today, so I picked up Against the Odds, a book of short stories by L.M. Montgomery, of Anne of Green Gables fame. I usually have a problem with short stories, but so much of the Anne books are made up of vignettes that you get into a sweet, nostalgic, moralistic groove when you read her work, and the stories don't make a difference. I also started the story collection Come to Me, by Amy Bloom. Brenda likes it, and I wanted to try Amy Bloom. I maybe should have picked a novel, but who knows? It's literary. The first story was pretty good, but me and short stories...I don't know. If I think about, maybe I'll be able to come up with an explanation.

Anyway, not a bad list. I have at least eight other library books out right now, though, so we'll see if anything sweeps me away. I have River Secrets, by my beloved Shannon Hale, waiting for me, as well as Powers, which is the next Western Shore book by Ursula K. LeGuin, and a book called Brides of Eden, which is about a religious sex scandal in 1913 Corvallis, Oregon. I know someone who lives in Corvallis, Oregon, and I like religion books and sex scandals. What can go wrong?

So I can't go too wrong, right? Am I spreading myself too thin? Ah, well--it's all good. I'm sure of it.

No comments: