Saturday, February 14, 2009

This Is What We Mean When We Say You're Too Clever For Your Own Good

Lemony Snicket.

Specifically, The Unauthorized Autobiography of Lemony Snicket. It's really a series of stylish funny lines (not really jokes), cryptically captioned photos that someone picked up in the archives of an historical society, and elaboration on the mysteries within the Series of Unfortunate Events. I've only read the first three books in the series, so I'm really curious, now, whether a lot of the mysteries in those three books are resolved later in the series--that is, if this autobiography is elaborating on questions that are answered, or merely raised, in the series of books. I might have to ask Wikipedia, to spare me reading all 13 books.

Next up: Born on a Blue Day, the memoir of an autistic savant; or maybe Bloody Jack, a swashbuckling tale of an orphaned girl gone into piracy. I don't know that I can read The Buffalo Soldier right now--Bohjalian is always so...I won't say maudlin, but not for someone who's in a mopey mood.

I'm reading toward my due dates, at this point. I have several books due in a week or so--Adam's Navel, which is about body parts (nonfiction, thank heaven), something by Patricia McKillip...oh, it just goes on and on. I'm going to bed.

No comments: