Sunday, July 12, 2009

With Vigor and Determination

I have rescinded the permission I gave myself to read only kids' books for a while. Why? Well, I was at a party last night with some literary types, and I reached back, trying to think of something even modestly "worthwhile" that I've read in the past few months. Couldn't do it. Then I came home and looked at my lists--Goodreads, my journal--of what I've been reading, and realized that the total number of books that don't fall into the YA category in the past two or three months is about six. And at least two of those are medical memoirs, plus other assorted popular nonfiction. I guess what I'm saying is that they're still pretty light.

So, I've bullied myself into trying again. I think I realized that I'm not in the mood for Confederates in the Attic, and I don't have the intellectual hunger I'd need to get me through the political irritation of The Nine. So I'm going with American Wife, which is a novel, and apparently a good one. I don't know if it has the literary weight that would have made me feel less embarrassed not to have read (or want to read) Atlas Shrugged, but it's what I've got right now.

So, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, wish me luck.

2 comments:

JMLC said...

oooh, I know the feeling. It's why I started Boy Alone last night- that and it's due back and not renewable.
If it makes you feel any better? I have never read anything by Ayn Rand and have no desire to, even though I know I should....

Unknown said...

Lalalah I can't HEAR you. I have NO desire to read anything with any literary value right now. Besides, I feel self-congratulatory for reading any non-fiction, never mind separating popular from um, harder non-fiction. I just finished Love, Stargirl and desperately want to start Howl's Moving Castle, but have moved Grub to the front of my pile. Certainly it's no Atlas Shrugged though.