Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Two for Two

I can't believe it took me this long to start reading Children of God. For anyone who has read The Sparrow, run out and get this book.

What turned me off initially was--well, without giving too much away (I hope; please someone tell me if this is too much of a spoiler), you find out at the beginning that someone you thought was dead in The Sparrow is not dead. That seemed like such an annoying change in history to allow a sequel that I just couldn't credit it.

This time, I knew that going in, and it didn't bug me. It makes sense that this character could still be alive, and it was the only annoying thing about the story. It all makes sense, and is, like The Sparrow, so thoughtful and intelligent that I'm really caught up in it. It's a rare book that has such an excellent balance between story, character, and--theme? meaning? philosophy, I guess.

Absolutely loving it.

No comments: