Monday, October 10, 2016

Tagged: Real Neat Blog Award

Elizabeth has tagged me!  I've been tagged! For the Real Neat Blog Award! Flutters eyelashes, presses hand to chest and curtsies neatly.



Here’s how it works:
  1. Thank and link back to the blogger who nominated you.
  2. Answer the seven questions set to you.
  3. Create seven questions for your nominees.
  4. Nominate seven other bloggers.
So thank you, Elizabeth, and here are my answers:

1. How many books are currently on your (pick one) Goodreads TBR / Amazon wish list / library hold list / whatever other app you use to track books you want to read?
 Oh, this one is always brutal.  A) There are so many different metrics to use, and B) all the answers are kind of embarrassing.  I mean, I have 319 books on my Kindle right now, unread, waiting. Poised. That's my "to urgently read" list.  If you want to look at the whole-whole list, we'll look at Goodreads, where To-Read is 1,283 books long.  But that doesn't count the second category, B-List, where another 1,466 are waiting in case I can't find anything interesting on that list.

Kids, I have a problem.

2. Out of those books, if you had to pick just one to buy/borrow next, which one would it be and why?
 Well, in a way I do, right? Eventually.  I think I want it to be V.E. Schwab's A Darker Shade of Magic, because I've been meaning to read it forever and amazing reviews keep popping up, even years after it came out.


3. When you walk into a bookstore, what’s the first section that you go to?
 Fantasy/Sci Fi, forever and ever, amen.

4. What future-release book are you most looking forward to reading and why? When does it come out?
 Oh, my Coming-Soon Goodreads is my favorite--poking around at what's there, adding things, seeing which ones have come out since I last checked!  I think it might be a tie between the someday dream of Patrick Rothfuss's Doors of Stone (no date set) and Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff's Gemina, sequel to the thrill ride Illuminae--coming out on Oct. 18 and already preordered, thank you very much!

5. What book have you re-read the most? How many times?
 This is a hard one to answer, because I used to be a terrific rereader, but I haven't been for many years--there's too much new stuff to take in!  If I had to guess, it might be The Secret Garden, which I read so, so many times as a kid, or it might be Clan of the Cave Bear, which I read a lot as a teenager, and even more often if you count the going back to your favorite part.  The book is huge, so going  back to read whichever 50 pages pop into my mind has been an ongoing life hobby.

Runner up to Shining Through, Susan Isaacs' WWII thriller romance and ultimate comfort read.

6. What was the last book you DNFed, and why?
 Just yesterday in fact!  Trolling the library's Kindle collection, I found something called The Academy, by an author I'd never heard of, but promising me a girl-disguised-as-a-boy (ding!) goes to boarding school (ding!) and has to save her brother from an evil plot (ding!) in space (ding ding ding!). So I grabbed it, but the first 20 pages just didn't catch me.  It was mostly still exposition at that point, but it was just not very subtly crafted; it read like really good high school writing.  I might have finished it if not for the twelve hundred and something on my to-read hanging over my head!

7. What was the last book you stayed up past your bedtime reading?
 Illuminae.  Because once you're on that roller coaster, you can't get off.  Like, I didn't even know time was passing for a lot of it--each page just flits by and before you know it you're 300 pages later and it's 2am and well, that was probably not healthy.  But so good!

That was fun!  Thank you, Elizabeth!  I like your questions, too--I might steal some of them. So many of my favorite blogger friends have been on hiatus lately, but I'm gonna tag you anyway, because I miss you; no pressure at all!

I hereby tag:
Lianna
Aarti
Raych
Jai
Rhonda (who doesn't know my blog exists but I really want to know her answers)
Jenny (now I'm just dreaming)

Your questions:

1) What bookish activity have/do you participate in (besides actually, you know, reading)?
2) What are the five most recent books you've put on your radar (to-read, library hold, acquired, etc.)?
3) What book or author do you push into people's hands most often?
4) Library or bookstore?
5) Ebook or print? (Feel free to get emotional on the subject.)
6) What was the last book that you did not finish?
7) Who do you share books with?  What are your bookish communities?

Thank you for the tag, Elizabeth!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your responses! :)