Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bringing Home the BSC

I have a bigger collection of Babysitters Club books than the middle school library I work at. I have about 35 or 40 BSC books (I can't bring myself to italicize it. It's not quite that dignified.)

When I was at my parents' house today, I was looking for Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett, which I think is the most recent Oprah book selection. I've had it in my room for a dozen years, and I think the most you can say for me is that I considered thinking about reading it at one point.
In the process of looking for that book, which I found, I also somehow ended up lugging home a couple of Babysitters Club books (Mallory and the Trouble with Twins and Welcome Back, Stacey). I've noticed that if you read a BSC book out loud, it reads at a much younger age level than if you just breeze through it at three pages a minute as usual.

I also dug up a couple of good YA books that I've noticed the library doesn't have. Wait Till Helen Comes was a big hit when I was the appropriate age for it (fifth grade, maybe?), and Footsteps on the Stairs is one of those nonentities that drifts in and out of your life via the Scholastic Book Club, but is somehow magically wonderful. Then there's Robin McKinley's Deerskin, which I'm not sure you can really qualify as Young Adult, because it has a vague but thematically clear description of a pretty horrifying rape scene. But because it's sort of fantasy, based on an old, dark fairy tale, well, it gets called YA I guess.

I'm thinking that for Christmas I'm going to get the school library the Blossom Culp books, by Richard Peck. Those are my absolute favorites--every single person should read them, starting (in my opinion) with Ghosts I Have Been, then proceeding chronologically through The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp and Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death, and then finally going back to the first book/prequel (which is really about Alexander Armsworth), The Ghost Belonged to Me.

So I've just brought a wave of new YA books into my house, which was wrong of me, since it really defeats the purpose of the Personal Library Renaissance. I'm hoping, since I'm going to the library tomorrow and technically not supposed to check anything else out, that I'll be able to use these BSC books to exert some self-control when I'm there tomorrow. Won't check out, won't check out, won't won't won't.

No comments: