Saturday, November 03, 2007

Does this in Caesar seem ambitious?

It seems only appropriate that, if I'm trying to do a month of daily entries, I should also be doing a month of aggressive reading. Let me just list off the stack of library books to give you a taste. Sitting across from me on the table we have:

The Position, by Meg Worlizer
The Full Cupboard of Life, by Alexander McCall Smith
A Gift Upon the Shore, by M.K. Wren
Ladies of Grace Adieu, by Suzannah Clarke
Disco for the Departed, by Colin Cotterill

Then on the coffee table we have:
On The Wealth of Nations, by P.J. O'Rourke
Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading, by the book reviewer on NPR's Fresh Air, whose name I can't read from here or call to mind right now.
The Game, by Laurie R. King
Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown (To be perfectly frank, this is the only one on the coffee table. The others are under the coffee table. But let's not quibble.)

In my purse is the biography of Joan of Arc, and upstairs we have, finally, The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco. That is not actually a library book, it's a loaner from Lynne, but I did check out The Key to the Name of the Rose, which basically explains all the historical references and translates all the Latin (there is a LOT of Latin), so I'm counting it.

The list above does not include the small but key stack of books I own and really really want to read soon, which I'd like to count, since we're being ambitious here. They are:

Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett
The Dark is Rising, by Susan Cooper
The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell
Star-Spangled Manners, by Judith Martin
The Queen's Fool, by Philippa Gregory
New Mercies, by Sandra Dallas
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (no, I haven't read it yet, leave me alone already!), by J.K. Rowling.

And I will briefly mention here the fact that, having seen Elizabeth: The Golden Age last night and been bitterly disappointed by it, I'm really anxious to read Alison Weir's biography of Elizabeth I. Kris has told me that Alison Weir is THE go-to for a layman on the subject of British Royalty from approximately York to Tudor, and I take Kris's word on these things.

To be honest, a few of these are going to fall by the wayside. The P.J. O'Rourke was a whim, and while I don't usually have too much of a problem with Libertarians in theory, I do have a problem when someone with such an impractical political philosophy starts dissing hard on my liberal homeboys, if you see my point. And I'm considering getting the audio book for the Susannah Clarke--I never did read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, (for which I don't think anyone can blame me, as it was an infinite number of pages long), but the reader for Ladies of Grace Adieu sounds quite good in the sample. So not all of these are really on my list of hard and fast goals for the month.

Still, now you know what I'm getting into. Today I spent mostly on Laurie King's The Game, about which more later. But don't you ever tell me there aren't any more good books out there, or this list will start to look insurmountable.

Onward to Victory!

No comments: