Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Need to Share

I may have already mentioned this here somewhere, because it could easily be why I gave up on the book my first time around. But it's just too delightfully trashy not to offer up to the public.

(Warning: the following quote gets a little saucy, so send the kids out of the room!)

On page 1 of Philippa Gregory's The Queen's Fool, a nobleman is chasing his teenage stepdaughter around the garden while his wife looks on, valiantly ignoring the flirtatious subtext. She says something like, "Can't catch me!" and...

"'I can catch you any time I want to,' he said, thinking of the chase of sex that ends in bed."

Wow. Just wow. Did you see the episode of The Simpsons where Marge writes a romance novel, and it's just awful? It cannot be awfuller than that line. We should all be Philippa Gregory.

P.S. My spellchecker acknowledges the existence of the word awfuller. What is the world coming to?

1 comment:

Helen said...

Bwah!! That is so unintentionally hilarious... :P