Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A Good Blogger

A good blogger lets her reading public know before she goes on vacation, not five days after she gets back.  And she certainly does not let a long list of potential post topics muddle her to the point where she doesn't know what to write about and so writes about nothing.

So I guess we've established that I'm not a very good blogger.  But as an exercise, I'd like to practice being one.  So: a resolution.  Starting today (Wednesday, September 1, 2010), I'm going to post three times a week for the next month.  That'll be something in the Monday/Wednesday/Friday range, though I might do more of a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday thing, since I understand it's bad form to blog at work.

In addition, as part of this little outing, I'm going to try a little exercise for myself.  A few people I know from online have started book blogs recently, and I picked up a NYT Book Review and some free publication the library was handing out, and I've been thinking of the form of the book review.

That's not really what I do here.  This is more of a personal blog with a book theme, at least to me.  It's about my hobby, my personal experience of reading all these books, not so much the books themselves.  That's less because I think that I'm worth reading about and more because I know for a fact that I'm an authority on it. 

Also, to be honest, not a lot of people want to hear about the spasms I went into when I found out that Mockingjay was in transit - finally! - or exactly what about Jenna Starborn is making it less compelling than Sharon Shinn's other books.  Like so many other blogs, I consider this a venue for things I want to blab about but can't convince anyone to listen.

It seems like I should be able to use this space constructively, though.  So during September Of The Ambitious Posting Schedule, I'm going to try to write a Real Review every week.  This will include a synopsis but not spoilers, and an evaluation based on slightly more than whether I loved or hated the book.  I'd really like to see if I can write something structured without turning it into an academic paper.  History says no, but my Magic 8 Ball says 'Ask again later.'  I'll take all the encouragement I can get.

5 comments:

Brenda Pike said...

Yay! You read so much that you can totally do this. Just do a separate post on each book instead of talking about them all at the same time and you're set!

Brenda Pike said...

Also, I read The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay in three days. This may be a record. They were very compelling, but grim. I was grumpy the whole time.

JMLC said...

Ok, I'm in! I'll check more often. :-)

Mrs. N said...

First off, thanks for linking to my blog! You're the best.

Second, I like reading whatever it is you have to say about books, and as I've started reading more book blogs, I find that's kind of rare. I hate reading long plot synopses.

I'll definitely encourage you to post more often though!

Read. Not Sleep. said...

Thanks for linking to my blog! I really like hearing about what you're reading, especially because you like the same mix of YA and adult as I do.