Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Our Day Out

It's been pointed out to me that for some reason, you, my loyal readers, might find book reviews somewhat more interesting than the gritty details of my wanderings around the libraries of greater Boston.  I can't even begin to imagine why, but believe that I'm taking it under advisement. 

Today, though, was a complicated library day, and I have to share it.  Adam and I went to the Cambridge library first thing this morning, because everyone's been raving about Emma Donoghue's Room, and I decided I couldn't wait till I got to the top of the hundreds of people on the wait list.  Cambridge has a great speed read collection, and the internet told me that they had a copy just waiting for me to speed read it.

The internet lied.  I hunted; the librarian hunted.  No such book.  I have since come to believe that the internet just didn't know that someone was wandering around the library clutching my book in their hot little hands. 

The trip wasn't a waste--Adam and I played "Take-a da nap" on the floor of the children's room and I backed the car into some nice patron or staffer's Honda Civic. 

Left only the tiniest scratch, but I left a note, because doesn't the lack of note hurt more than the scratch?  I didn't want to be that guy.  And no one's called yet, so I suspect that the owner, like me, felt that the scratch was infinitesimal.

Overall, though, it was a pretty stressful morning.  After naptime, we went over to the Medford library to pick up the newest Dr. Siri book by Colin Cotterill.  And the librarian came back on with two books--Love Songs from a Shallow Grave and Room.  Talk about redeeming my day.

Anecdotes over: now back to our regularly scheduled reading.

1 comment:

Mrs. N said...

Sounds like a rough morning.

The Philly library and have frequent disputes over books. Right now I have a hold on a book that they don't own. What's that all about? When you remove a book from the system, shouldn't it delete the hold?

I am very relieved for you that the car owner did not feel the need to get in touch. phew.