Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ugh, Romance

Remember I was talking last time about Lord of Danger?  Yeah, I take back any optimism I had about that.  My hope now is that the amusement I'm feeling at how bad it is will coast me through to the finish line.

The premise is interesting--he's a mysterious court magician, educated, scheming--and she's a quiet, intelligent girl raised in a convent who's given to him in marriage by her wicked half-brother.  He's evil, but not really; she's innocent, but ready to become worldly.  Great setup, if somewhat cheesy writing.

But then...nothing.  More of the same.  They gaze, he longs, she burns.  You need something else--court intrigue, conspiracies, some kind of event besides stilted conversations and uncomfortable dinners, with the occasional stolen kiss.

I've let go of a lot of books lately, but I think I'm going to stick this one out.  Wish me luck.

No comments: