Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Own Worst Enemy

Okay, first: don't miss the free book drawing in Sunday's post. Leave a comment on that post and win a book!

Today I'm gloomy because I accidentally spoiled the book I'm reading for myself. Well, I say accidentally, but I did flip to the end and read the last two lines. I don't suppose I can blame anyone for that but myself. But in my defense, that very rarely actually ruins anything!

But in this book it did. I have to say, I'm torn between whether to tell you the book or the ending--clearly I can't tell you both. Since presumably you can see from my sidebar what I'm reading, though, I'll manage to restrain myself regarding the end.

The book, then, is Secrets of Eden, by Chris Bohjalian. I wasn't expecting a mystery, which it turns out this is--at least in structure. Of course, it's much more about the human drama than about the mystery. Still, though it's already clear to me that the ending is a big reveal, and I'm disappointed with myself.

Happily, I'm still enjoying the book, maybe more than I expected to. Strangely, I feel like I was anticipating a Jodi Picoult book, and the slight sense of redundancy and overwroughtness that comes with it, and am finding myself pleasantly surprised.

I'm experiencing deja vu. Have I said this about Jodi Picoult and Chris Bohjalian before?

Anyway, don't forget to enter the drawing!

1 comment:

JMLC said...

I tend the read the last page of a book if I'm not enjoying it- somehow it makes it either a) easier to put down or b) easier to get through. It always makes me think of Harry from "When Harry Met Sally" though.