Saturday, June 19, 2010

Y: Why?

So I enjoyed Y: The Last Man as I was reading the series.  It never quite lived up to what I felt was its promise--the art, the premise, the writing of the individual scenes all would have been comfortable in a fabulous, profound, insightful story, which this one kept falling short of.

Mike and I actually disagreed.  We were talking about it last night, after he finished the whole thing and while I was in the middle of the last volume.  He said that the ending was fitting for a book that was mediocre all the way through.  I disagreed: I thought it was good all the way through, but the potential for greatness was so glaring that it made "good" seem like not good enough.

Then I finished the last volume. And, well, crud.  The ending didn't really elevate anything.  It was a disappointment.  I won't give anything away, but I will say that, since the book did not achieve greatness, it would have succeeded better by giving me an ending that was more aggressively pleasing.  That's what I'll say to avoid spoilers.

It's hard to review the whole series like this, though.  I don't want to let my disappointment with the last volume stop someone from reading what I thought was some good comics.  I don't think it used its post-apocalyptic potential as well as it could have, but it was full of great bits, good dialogue, characters I really, really liked.  I have a hard time finding good comics, and I think this was good comics.

1 comment:

Brenda Pike said...

I loved the beginning of the series, to the point where we were actually buying the pamphlets as they came out. But by the third volume we'd stopped reading. I don't even know what happens at the end. (You must tell me!)