Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Snazzy

Like the new design?  I hadn't realized Blogger had so many new layouts and features.  I feel very modern and jazz hands.


I accidentally started reading Neal Stephenson's Reamde (which I think is pronounced Read Me, but I always read as Reamed, but isn't he clever, it could also be read as Remade).  I got it and set it aside for when I had time, but I glanced at the first few pages.  Which was a really interesting account of a guy at his family reunion in Iowa, only he's sort of--well, not the black sheep, but he has a Wikipedia entry and people are glancing at him sideways.  And so I read a little more to find out what was going on....

And now I'm into it.  And it's really just so engaging as a story of how to set up a good MMORPG, with some other pretty interesting anecdotes thrown in.  It's not like it's driving along like a rollercoaster, but it's a string of really engaging scenes and anecdotes and I'm going to read the whole thing.

Except that I have no clear idea what it's about yet.  The blurb implies that there will be chasing and thriller elements, but I have no clear ideas yet.  I'm 5% of the way in, but this is a Neal Stephenson book, so that's about 50 pages out of presumably a thousand or so.

Thank heaven it's really, really good.  And that I have Tomorrow Girls--which is dystopian AND girls boarding school all in one--to balance it out.

No comments: