Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Libraries

I haven't had a two-library day in a long time, but today I really wanted to get Adam some of Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books--he's into pigs, and they're right at his reading level. I happened to be driving past the Arlington library and I happened to know that several were available there, so I just pulled over and stopped in. 

Turns out they also have a really impressive Juvenile comics collection, and I got a bunch of fun stuff that I think Adam's going to enjoy.  And then I got to check my books out by just stacking them on this electronic pad and scanning my library card.  The RFID reader read all the books at once and emailed me a receipt.  I was startled. Technology!

And then of course I stopped by Medford, to drop off some supplies for tomorrow's craft at the Friends of the Library table at Circle the Square, and to pick up one more Mercy Watson book, and to return a video, etc. etc. I saw some of my library friends--helped Sarah move some boxes, chatted with Tamar while she did some shelving, and got the summer reading list from Sam to see if the Friends have any extra copies of the summer reading books we can give her.  Offered to do the same for Nicole in YA; just have to pick up the list.

You know, it's not just the books.  I love the library.  I love the librarians, who are so patient and cheerful when they deal with a lot of tough situations all day.  I love the programs that my son has so much fun at. I love the Friends, which is a great group of people working hard at something worthwhile and fun.  The library just makes me happy.  So yeah, it was a good day. 

No comments: