Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Adaptation

They're making an all CGI version of Beowulf. I have a strong suspicion that they're going to totally miss the point of the story. I can already tell, in fact, given the fact that Angelina Jolie is playing...well, anyone really. The only woman I remember in that story is Grendel's mother, and I'm pretty sure she's a monster. Also, movie adaptations of that story tend to assume that when Beowulf dives into a lake to kill her and then fights her for hours down there, that there's a cave or something. I prefer the vagueness of knowing that he's underwater for all that time, holding his manly, manly breath.

My sister wants to get my brother a copy of the book, in Old English. I had to explain to her that German looks more like modern English than Old English does. Actually, I'm pretty sure it has its own alphabet, so I think Greek might be a better analogy than German. Seriously, my brother does not want to go there, I promise you.

If I have to vote for a Beowulf adaptation, I like Eaters of the Dead by Michael Creighton. I even liked (sort of)The Thirteenth Warrior.

Another movie that just came out is Martian Child. You may remember that I read that book a ways back. It was godawful. I'm absolutely sure that the movie is, too, because I strongly suspect that they're going to leave out one of the interesting parts, which is that the single dad, played by the always (well, usually) winning John Cusack, is gay. Actually, the book was so awful, nothing could have made it a good movie. Sorry to spoil it for everyone.

I am excited, though, about The Mist, which is based on a Stephen King story, or so I'm told. I've never read the story, and I can't decide if I should before seeing the movie. Brenda says it's one of his best. But it looks like a really good horror movie, and I can't wait to go see it. Maybe even in the theater. Brenda, I'm looking in your direction!

(This is all to distract you all from the fact that I've barely read anything in days. A limited topic blog is a tricky one to update every day!)

No comments: